Johnson & Wales University has received the 2014 Providence Preservation Society (PPS) Historic Preservation Rehabilitation Award for the JWU Center for Physician Assistant Studies. The center was one of 8 preservation projects honored during a PPS symposium held in early November.
“We are honored that the extraordinary rehabilitation work that transformed this historic building into a high-tech facility of learning has been recognized by the Providence Preservation Society,” said George Bottomley, DVM , PA-C, director of the JWU Center for Physician Assistant Studies. “This was a true labor of love for all involved — the senior administration and Facilities Management team at JWU, Shawmut Design and Construction, and the architectural firm of Durkee, Brown, Viveiros & Werenfels. We have created a learning environment that preserves the historic integrity of the building while including the state-of-the-art technology that is preparing our students for their future career as health care professionals.”
The rehabilitated building that now houses the JWU Center for Physician Assistant Studies, located at 35 Claverick Street, dates back to 1948.
Located in the heart of Providence’s jewelry district, the site has served jewelry manufacturers and related tenants until being purchased by JWU in October 2012.
A ribbon cutting ceremony formally opening the center was held in May, to welcome the inaugural class of Rhode Island’s first physician assistant program.
The renovated 18,000 square foot building contains lecture halls with global teleconferencing capabilities, small group conference rooms, a clinical skills lab, and a cadaver-based anatomy lab. The Center also was recently awarded LEED Gold certification.
Follow the Center for PA Studies on Facebook.