JWU College of Business

Studying Human Resource Management can take you places. It starts at JWU.

Alexis Gamache '18

Human resources is expanding far beyond the basics of hiring, training, compensation and benefits. In JWU’s 4-year Human Resource Management (BSBA) program in the College of Business, students will study business administration and human resource management, enhancing their education and preparing for a career in both fields.

As a senior, Alexis Gamache ’18 is on track to complete her bachelor’s degree in May, while also taking graduate courses in JWU's Human Resource Management MS accelerated program.

“During the day I take classes toward my bachelor’s degree in human resources and at night I take classes toward my master’s,” says Gamache. This opportunity extends her expertise in a variety of concepts including human resource development and succession planning; strategic recruitment, selection and planning; change management; organizational behavior, and more.

Another opportunity for students pursuing this career path is to get involved with JWU’s student chapter of the Society of Human Resources Management (SHRM). Gamache serves as chapter president, and Joanne Galenski, associate professor in the College of Business, is its faculty advisor.

“I help our students in a variety of ways including guidance on which HR conferences and events to attend where they can connect with practitioners in the industry and hear about the latest updates on pertinent laws,” says Galenski. “Students also receive HR relevant magazines and job listings, as well as assistance in preparing for necessary certifications required in the human resources industry.”

The chapter hosts HR professionals as guest speakers and participates in competitions sponsored by the Rhode Island SHRM chapter with students from area New England colleges.

The Rhode Island SHRM chapter offers a mentorship program to which all 7 JWU chapter members have been accepted.”

“Each student is assigned to an industry practitioner who will mentor them for the next year," says Galenski.

Adding to her resume and experience, Gamache is a member of JWU’s Collegiate Ambassador Team. “I am a student senior ambassador, so along with giving tours to perspective families, I also help and oversee 10 student ambassadors,” she says. “It’s like a supervisor and management position—giving me real life experience while pursuing my degree.”

With her solid academic achievements and significant extra-curricular activities, Gamache is sure to be a stand-out candidate when she begins her own job search.

Explore JWU's College of Business

Topics: Providence Human Resource Management