The Countdown to Thanksgiving

It's not that Tori Murphy doesn't adore her life at JWU Providence, it's just that she REALLY wants to get back home to share her thankfulness for a loving family, close friends and a home-cooked meal.

It is almost the exciting time of year when college students start to go home for their Thanksgiving break. Here at Johnson and Wales, this time period marks not only a holiday, but the fact that our fall trimester is officially over! (Finally!!) Being able to go home is a special time. It is the place where our friends and family are, as well as our memories.  It is the place where you made your most precious memories; your first best friend, your first relationship, where you learned to drive, your first kiss…everything. I think being away from our homes makes us appreciate our hometown. After all, our homes are the places that help shape us as people.

Tori Murhy can't wait to have a seat at this table.

Once you get home, you start hanging out with your family and close friends that you haven’t seen in a while. You are able to sleep in your own bed at night without having to worry about noisy students in the room above you, or your roommates staying up late. A few days after you get home, you will start preparing for Thanksgiving dinner. You'll watch as your family stresses out about the different dishes they are going to have to prepare for the big day. On Thanksgiving you'll fill your stomach to the point of exploding. All the turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, dinner rolls, casseroles, and so much more! After Thanksgiving passes, it is finally acceptable to start getting excited for the holidays. In my family, we celebrate Christmas, therefore a few days after Thanksgiving we start putting up some of our decorations.

My entire break usually consists of spending time with all my friends and family. The older I get and the longer I am away from home, the more I value time spent with my family and close friends. I think many of you can probably agree with me: When we were younger, we couldn’t wait to get away from our crazy family and have fun on our own, but now that I am more mature, all I want to do is spend time with my close friends and family. I mean, isn’t that what Thanksgiving is all about anyways? It’s a time where you can celebrate this holiday with your loved ones that you are thankful for.

Tori.Murphy.homesickness.jpg

Therefore, as Thanksgiving approaches, realize how thankful you are for your life, your family, and your friends. Give thanks! I wish you all the best during your Thanksgiving break. Have fun, be safe, and eat lots and lots of turkey!

Tori wishes everyone a happy Thanksgiving & hopes to see you all soon!  

Topics: Providence