in cima al mondo

Ciao! I’m back again with more exciting stories for you all! I keep finding more reasons to fall in love with Italy and I can’t help but share them with you all. Just a few days ago, our beautiful excursion coordinator Audrey, took us to hike Mt. Vesuvius. In case some of you did not know, Mt. Vesuvius is the famous volcano that erupted in 79 A.D. burying the cities of Pompeii and Herculaneum. What made the hike even more exhilarating is the fact that Vesuvius is STILL an active volcano. Needless to say, some of us were quite scared it could erupt at any given moment! Thankfully, we made it! :)

So how exactly did we get there? Well, once again we took our reliable (but not really, because of the occasional train strikes) Circumvesuviana to Ercolano which only cost 1.20 Euros! Right outside of the Ercolano stop, was the information center for the Vesuvius hike. We all purchased our own tickets that included a shuttle drop off and pick up for 20 euros.

If any of you are adventurous enough to one day embark on this journey, here’s a bit of a warning: pack a large water bottle and durable sneakers! Prior to beginning the hike, there are vendors handing out wooden walking sticks (see the picture above!) that are suppose to assist us during the hike (free of cost but tips are welcomed). Do yourself a favor, don’t even bother with the sticks! I personally thought they were useless rather than helpful. Anyway, the hike up AND down is no joke and it definitely tested all of our endurances. However, making it to “in cima al mondo” (the top of the world) is well worth! The panoramic views are breathtaking and one almost feels peace and tranquility while taking in the scenery and atmosphere. Also, along the way are vendors selling souvenirs and refreshments in case you need a pick me up!

I hope you all enjoyed my post today! Until next time!

Arrivederci!

- Tuyen