Sorrento, Italy

Just came back from Sorrento. Sorrento is a tourist city in Italy nearby Castellammare di Stabia where we are staying for our studies. As much as I enjoy the Italian culture and their romance language, it was so nice to hear conversations in English and signs that we could actually understand. It felt a little bit like home for a day. We, myself and a few girlfriends in the group, went to a restaurant for lunch, Syrenuse, and aside from being excited to eat, we were excited to read the menu in English. I have to confess that sometimes when I go out to eat, I order random things on the menu because I have no clue what any of it means. On one side it is great to be in a beautiful city of a foreign country and feel as comfortable as home but on the other hand, you do not get a culture shock and are not forced to adapt and learn the language. It made me appreciate the fact that we are in a small town in Italy where we are forced to adjust to the real Italian life, that’ s how we get our knowledge and experience, emerge another culture different from ours and what we know. Sorrento was beautiful and very comfortable, but for the next month in a half, Castellammare di Stabia is my home and I look forward to grow in it.

Katerina Shevchenko