Last Travels

The Spanish Village turned out to be a different place than expected. It was a small village where you could feel like you were in each region in Spain. As I walked through the village I felt like I traveled all of Spain in just an hour. It was also a great place for food and souvenir shopping. I enjoyed going into different shops and seeing them make things by hand. For example, we saw a place called Forn de Vidrf where they were blowing glass to form bulls. Derek even bought one for the memory.

The tour lasted for 2.5 hours. Along the way I was taking note of other things I would like to do. My main interest was going back near the statue of Christopher Columbus. When I began asking people they told me all I had to do was walk all the way down to the end of Las Ramblas. I had walked Las Ramblas a few times and I never thought to walk to the end. When we reached the end, sure enough there was the statue. It felt so historical to stand there and look out to the ocean where the water meets my homeland. We had seen that the part was there. I have a concentration in Cruise Line Management so I wanted to get closer to where the ships dock. One of the ships there was called Norwegian Spirit. Since I was near the Mediterranean I wanted to touch it so I reached low off the dock to touch the water.

My adventure for my last day still wasn’t over. There was one thing I wanted to do before I left Barcelona and that was to go to Park Guell. This is where a famous artist named Antoni Gaudi had his art work. I had seen photos of the place and read about it, so I wanted to see it in person. With only one hour left of free time, Derek and I got on the metro to go see it. When we got off the metro I felt completely lost. I started following signs that read Park Guell till we got to the steepest mountain I have ever climbed. Part of the way we had to walk and the other half we were able to use the escalators. These escalators were “green” because they would begin working when someone got on them. The way up to Park Guell was a mission on its own, but finally we made it. When I finally started seeing mosaic art work, a signature of Gaudi’s work, I became excited. We finally had made it and it was so much better in person then seeing pictures of it.

I had done everything I wanted to do and most of it was summed up on this day. Even though I was tired, Derek and I had to be at a cooking class with the rest of the group. We arrived really late, but after the great adventure Derek and I had, it was so worth it. Cook & Taste was a mission to find, but when we got there we washed up and helped cook the last dinner we would have in Barcelona. I was able to make paella and I even got to torch my own Crema Catalonya.