Interested in a Career in Hospitality?

Taylor Shultz ends 2016 with a blog post for students interested in pursuing a career in hospitality. Taylor's studying Hotel & Lodging Management at JWU Providence and she's ready to share what she's learned.

You will meet great people.

From all over the world. This is one of my favorite parts about hospitality. I love meeting new people and I am very interested in how people from different cultures live their lives. Hospitality affords you the opportunity to meet so many great people from all over the world every day. The opportunity to meet people from all over the world will happen almost every day.

You will make people's day.

And, it will make you feel amazing. You'll meet people who have saved their entire lives to stay at your hotel or in the destination where you work, and they are elated to finally be there! You have, what I would say, is one of the most rewarding opportunities in this industry: to help make your guests' stay, that they have saved for, exceed their expectations. This not only feels insanely rewarding because you've made them happy, it makes your day knowing that you could give that experience to someone.

This is something you can do anywhere.How does this office view look to you?

I love to travel and am curious about the world and all the places I have not been to yet. Having a career in hospitality, I have the unique ability to move wherever I would like. There are not many places in which hospitality institutions do not exist in some form or another. If you want the freedom to be able to work where you would like and to be able to move throughout your career, this is certainly an excellent option for you.

Experience something different every day.

JWU-Hospitality-Culinary-Students1024x600.jpg

Before I worked in hospitality, I was not sure how true this statement was. Then all of a sudden I realized, this is so true. While you may have a list of daily tasks to complete before shift''s end, when you check off those items, and what happens in between, is different every day. Just wait! This is one of the most interesting parts of the industry. You are working when others are enjoying their leisure. Ergo, something different will happen every day.

You will work weekends and holidays.

Hotels are open 24/7, 365 days a year. Restaurants are open weekends and most holidays (depending on the restaurant). Events occur every day from big Thanksgiving Day football games to Christmas Day weddings. While I love working in hotels, I do have to mention that I give up weekends and holidays to pursue this passion. While this may seem like a negative, the people you work with quickly become your team. You will see your colleagues every day, you will spend holidays and weekends working your shifts together. Working in a hotel, you will begin to gain team camaraderie with your colleagues which will make working weekends and holidays that much easier. Making people's days and giving them the experience of a lifetime is worth working holidays, in my book.

The Takeaway?

If you are considering working in the hospitality industry I would like to first tell you that I think it is an amazing and rewarding career! I also would urge you to do your own research through reading about the industry or even meeting up with someone who already works in the industry. Learn about the day in the life of a hotelier, an event planner or a chef. Whatever it is that interests you, research it and find your calling! Personally, I am biased. I love working in hotels so I am mostly focusing on the positives.

Looking to broaden your horizons in the ever-expanding, multi-billion dollar global industry of hospitality? Learn more about the JWU's School of Hospitality.

Topics: Hospitality