From Cold to (Surprisingly) Warm: My travel to JWU Denver

Now I’ll be the first to admit, I have hated cold weather my entire life. Sledding, skiing, snowboarding, shoveling – all activities I have never enjoyed. So needless to say a few eyebrows were raised at my expense when I told my friends and family I was transferring to JWU in Denver, Colorado for spring term.

I was also very worried myself. I was a sophomore with an established friend group and had finally fully adjusted to not living at home anymore, so what made me transfer? Why would I leave my cozy little city of Providence? Because this is what college is all about. I thought, why am I allowing myself to settle into one place when this may be the only time I have to travel? And I slightly love watching my mom freak out, but who doesn’t? I took on moving across the country by myself to seek adventure, and let me tell you, adventures were had.

Emily Mochak Marvels at the Beauty of Denver

To my enjoyment, Denver was (felt like) 10 times warmer than Providence during the springtime. Every day was almost 70 degrees and sunny – everyone was happy and it was really a refreshing change from living on the East Coast my entire life. The best part was, other JWU students took me in as a friend. I was worried that transferring towards the end of the year everyone else and their established friend groups wouldn’t be willing to take on a new friend and to my delight, I was wrong. I felt like I was a part of the campus and the community even though I was only there for three months.

Transferring on my own taught me a lot about myself. It made me realize that I could move away from the familiar life I was living and do something else and when I came back, everything was the same. Obviously I missed my friends and missed some fun times but finding yourself and realizing what you want out of life is something you should never pass up or regret doing.

Emily Mochak Meets Friends in Denver

JWU also made it really easy for me to transfer. One of the reasons I picked JWU was because I wanted to give myself the option to go other places without being restricted to just one campus. Student Services can sometimes get a bad rep but the people who work there want you to succeed just as much as you want yourself to. They want to make your transition from living at home to living away at school easy and always want to help in any way they can. 

Topics: Providence Denver Admissions