Ischia

On our last excursion of the International Hotel and Tourism Management Study Abroad to Italy we traveled to the beautiful island of Ischia. It was also our earliest departure, so we left for Naples a little after 7:30 in the morning on Wednesday, April 7th, to catch the ferry. We made it in perfect time to board the ferry and get comfortable. After a short ride, we arrived in Ischia and made our way to the five-star Terme Manzi Hotel and Spa. We took a tour of the magnificent hotel and were able to view a deluxe room, junior suite and a suite. Each room was beautifully decorated and was very spacious. Next we saw the spa which was even more luxurious than I could imagine. They had a huge list of treatment options and so many different rooms and equipment to provide the best service. The thermal pool was absolutely stunning and the outdoor pool was situated on the roof and looked so inviting.

After finishing the tour of the hotel, we watched a short video about the executive chef at the IL Mosaico restaurant, located inside the hotel, and his play on humor and Naples cuisine. Afterwards, we had an hour to explore the surrounding area before we ate lunch at IL Mosaico, which has a rating of 2 Michelin stars! Our first course was the best tasting caprese salad I have ever had. The tomatoes were absolutely fabulous, and the buffalo mozzarella was out-of-this-world.

Next was an intricate plate of seafood, including calamari, prawns, and squid-ink. I don’t love seafood, but I absolutely loved this dish! Every component worked together, even the potato chips at the bottom of the bowl. Each piece of seafood was perfectly battered and fried.

I didn’t think the meal could get any better until a trio of desserts was placed in front of me. And it did not stop there! In addition, each table received their own little tray of bite-sized desserts. My favorite was definitely the berry cheesecake, it was exactly what I had been craving! Dining at IL Mosaico was an experience in itself, and was probably one of the best meals I have ever tasted.

After an amazing meal, we made our way back towards the ferry port to find a nice sandy beach to lay on. As soon as I reached the beach I knew I had to take the opportunity to swim! The water wasn’t awfully cold, but you had to keep swimming to stay warm! After a good hour or two on the beach and in the water, we had to head back to Naples. I had a great day in Ischia touring the Terme Manzi Hotel and Spa and dining in their incredible restaurant. It certainly was a great day to be a hospitality student!

~Caitlin Toth