Ferrara

We took our trip to Ferrara on the forth excursion day and it continued raining. It was very sad that I skipped the trip yesterday since I was very sick and I felt much better after one-day break. Actually, I didn’t know Ferrara before I went to this city, but I started to realize that it is a famous tourism city (qualified by UNESCO as World Heritage Site) after I did some research about it.

Ferrara is not too far from Bologna and it took about thirty minutes to drive. We met our guide and she explain the city a little bit to us by using the city map. The city was surrounded by the ancient walls; and the northern part of the city was very green and there used to be no house before. However, there are some now because of population growth after the Second World War.

After that, we visited the Castello Estense (built in 1385 by Nicolo II d’Este), which surrounded by the river and located in the very central of the city. There are some big fishes in the river and the river are used to protect the city, especially the war with Venice. The Castle can store 500 family members and is just like the city in city. It used to have four entries but only have three now. Unfortunately, we can’t get on the very top of the castle since some inside parts are broken since the earthquake in 2012, and it still waiting for the fixing finance. In addition, we could see some orange trees on the top parts.

Then, we went to the Romanesque Cathedral and its architecture style is combine the Romanesque and Gothic, and Baroque inside (rebuild after the fire). The front part is with and the side part is red. Luckily, we still have a chance to visit the inside of Cathedral for ten minutes even we came after the close time. Furthermore, the bell tower on the side is not finished since the sand flour would make the tower shake.

Moreover, we had a look of the Ferrara Plaza and walk through the small path to connect the wall. The guide told us this is one of the most beautiful roads in Europe since we can see the green plants beside the road and the ancient gate in the end of the road. The path is now made by stones byFinally, we had a great local meal in the restaurant and back to Bologna.

This is a wonderful day and I really enjoy the trip to Ferrara. I got more familiar with another kind of Italian history and culture. Great!

By Xinyuan Chen