[gallery]

For our Easter break, three of my friends and I decided to go to Venice for two days and one night. On Friday morning, we left the Vesuvian Institute around 6 am to catch the train to Naples. Our first train ride was around 45 minutes. We decided that buying a Euro Rail Pass for 3 days would be more economical than buying individual tickets. The cheapest train to Venice is around 100 Euros by it self. Our whole trip would have come up to over 200 Euros in total. With this pass, I only had to pay 148 Euros with the reservation fees for the fast train rides included. After three train rides, we made it to Venice around 2.30 p.m. and our first stop was McDonalds. After a satisfying meal, we took the local bus to the hotel that we were going to stay. The bus ride was around 40 minutes. Compared to the south, northern Italy sees stricter especially with transportation. Most people in the south do not pay for transportation. I was surprised to see that there were signs at the bus stops about ticket information and penalties for not having a ticket. The hotel we stayed in was a villa style hotel. The lobby area was nice but I cannot say the same for the room that we stayed in. I do not know if it is a curse or a blessing but especially after being in the industry and knowing for what to look in a room, it was pretty hard for all of us to stay in that room and not complain. The room was old and needed renovations. As it seems to be an everyday thing in Italy both the lobby and the room had flies flying around. We even had our very own bug in the room. We took the hotels’ shuttle to the canal area. It cost us 6 Euros per person round trip. When we were booking this hotel online, they had an advertisement stating that the shuttle was free. This marketing element was actually one of the reasons why we chose this hotel so it was very disappointing that we had to pay for the shuttle. The canal area was beautiful; there were probably hundreds of bridges all around the area. It was saddening to see that the water was pretty dirty. We walked around the area and shopped for Venetian masks, wine stoppers and such. While walking in the area, we ran into a small shop called Dr. Fish. It was one of the weirdest and most exciting experiences of my life. We got a 10 minute fish pedicure where you put your feet into a tank filled with fish and let them eat the dead skin. It was very ticklish and took some time to get used to it. The next day we checked out of our hotel and took one of the water taxis to St. Marco Square. It took us an hour to get there but it was worth the trip. This square is a tourist haven. It was very crowded. We walked around the square, took pictures and grabbed lunch in a small pizzeria. We did not get to go into any of the museums because of the waiting time. The waiting time for the royal palace was around five hours. I think the government should regulate the tourist flow to these areas. The amount of people in the area was incredible. Having this many people in one area at the same time creates a bad experience for most tourist. Also, to my surprise, I ran into a Turkish group almost ten times during our trip in Venice. It was good to see people from my country. It was around 3 p.m. when we got back to the train station and left Venice.

Gulem Akcay