When in Rome...

When I left for a short weekend trip in Rome, I had no idea what was in store for me. I knew it was a city rich with culture and history, but it was actually much, much more than that. Upon arriving at Rome, I literally felt like I was in a movie.

Our first stop was the Colosseum. It was bustling with dressed-up gladiators, souvenir vendors, hundreds of other tourists. The amphitheater, made of cement and stone, is almost 2,000 years old. It’s so mind-blowing to me that something of this scale built in 70 AD can still be standing today.

When we stopped for lunch, we were serenaded by a street performer and his accordion. Our next couple of stops included the National Monument of Victor Emmanuel II, the Mouth of Truth, and the Tiber River. We made it to the Spanish Steps just in time to catch the sunset (see below).

The Spanish Steps was filled with both locals and tourists. People sat on the steps eating gelato and chatting with their friends. There were also a few men walking around with bundles of roses in their hands, and they were passing it. This site features the widest set of stairs in all of Europe. At the base of it is Piazza di Spagna, and the Trinita dei Monti was located at the top of the steps.

I was so glad that our day in Rome was by foot, because it allowed me to see so much more. The city was so alive, and I just wanted to take everything in. I definitely plan on returning. A presto!

Florence Li