TRIP TO POMPEII

I have been in Italy for a month and I really enjoy everything here, although Italy is not that clean and a little disordered, I still like the historical and cultural things here. Pompeii takes twenty minutes driving from Castellammare di Stabia. I heard many stories about it when I was a young child and I am so happy I got a chance to come here.

Pompeii used to be a small commercial town and it is larger than Stabia and smaller than Napoli. And it was destroyed and covered by volcanic event in 79 AD. Architect Domenico Fontana rediscovered it in 1599, and some people said he covered his found since there were some sexual and erotic paintings on the wall and religious concepts control these erotic arts strictly (just like my photo). Although this was not proved but many people believe it.

I used to think Pompeii is really small, but it was much larger, there was one mile from one side of Pompeii to another. At the beginning, we knew that Pompeii is not only a commercial town, but also an agricultural town. It producing wine a lot just like the picture shown us (container). It provided cheap wine but is not perfect and people used like to drink wine with water. Ratio is from 1:2 to 1:3 and it was easier to drink.

And the building in the following picture looks very like a church but it is not since there was no church during those years. This is the place for different ways, such as commercial exchanges and meetings. In addition, all the architecture material are lava stone, and they are good for building and very light.

Furthermore, the next two pictures are shown us the technology of Pompeii. The first one is the theater. We clapped together in the theater, and the result of the sound was fantastic and amazing. Otherwise, the second photo is about some pipes connect the tope of building and ground. This is the pressure release system and it worked by adjusting the level of water.

I really enjoy the day and learn a lot from this trip

Xinyuan Chen

IHTM ITALY 2014