Internship #2 Week 1

Hello All!
So I did post about my first internship last trimester, but since this is a brand new term, I guess I will start from the beginning and reintroduce myself this week.
My name is Jenifer White and I am from Jackson,NJ. I attended JWU Providence and am completing my last trimester of my college career interning for the American Cancer Society in NJ. I chose to complete my internship in NJ for a few different reasons:

1. I get to save a bunch of money on living expenses living back at home.

2. I figured that I would intern where I wanted to live after college, just in case I got a job offer for after my internship is over. (Although lately I have this infatuation with moving to Boston so we’ll see how this turn out.)

In order to be able to let me last two terms at JWU be full-time internships instead of classes, I worked really hard to finish all of my required classes at Johnson & Wales last year (at least one full trimester earlier than I was scheduled to do). This required me to take on at least 4-5 classes a tri (which was difficult at times, but well worth it), and taking three classes every summer at a local community college. Now, I don’t need to take anymore classes and can commit myself fully to my internship! I went into JWU’s SEE program wanting to work at a big wedding planning place and make a ton of money and plan these big elaborate events. Even though I still think that working in those big events would be awesome, I went through a change while at college, that I believe most individuals do, and I just knew that there was something more I could do for others; that there was a way for me to do a small part in making the world a better place. That is when I made the decision to focus on the non-profit world. As I researched non-profits, I saw all these wonderful fundraising events that take place year-round and it was like a light bulb went off in my head; I could plan events and help make a difference at the same time! That’s when I applied to the American Cancer Society and they welcomed my with open arms to complete not only one, but two full time internships with them!

Okay so now that you all kind of know how I ended up here, let me start talking about my time here at the American Cancer Society so far. I LOVE IT! The atmosphere here is definitely so up my ally! Everyone is so nice and it truly is like a “family at work” feeling. I have been here since September and I still am excited to come to the office everyday!

Last trimester I worked on my ACS division’s Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk that took place on October 20th. It was a fantastic experience! I am proud to say that our walk alone raised over $1.3 Million and we had over 20,000 people come out to walk with us!

This trimester I am now working in distinguished events on the 2014 Tides of Change Gala which will take place in March. I am learning so much from my supervisor Madalaine. She has been working special events here at the ACS for over 7 years and she is taking me through every step of the event planning process. From budgeting to applying for grants, to attending Board meetings, I have been involved with almost every aspect of the event so far.

But just because I intern 35 hours a week, don’t think that all I do now is work and sleep just because I am not actually at JWU Providence anymore. I am still only 21, and I am no where near ready to give up my youth yet! Since I am home, I am able to see a lot of my home friends on weekends who decided to go to school locally! This weekend though, I am driving up to Providence to visit my sister who s a freshman in Baking and Pastry at Johnson & Wales, and to have fun with my friends who are still up at school! It is going to be a fun weekend and I can’t wait to be reunited with everyone!

I hope my first post was helpful! I look forward to posting again next week!

Signing out,

Jen :)