Internship Week 7

Hello All!

I cannot believe it is already week 7!!!

So the Making Strides Against Breast Cancer walk of Point Pleasant, NJ was a huge success! Over 20,00 walkers attended and we raised over $1.3 Million in donations, keeping us as the largest walk in people and money raised in all of New Jersey! We are very excited about the results of the walk, but very exhausted from our long 12 day work week. I think I can speak for all of us here at the Manasquan office when I say THANK GOODNESS FOR THE WEEKEND!! We are all looking forward to some very well needed R&R.

Unfortunately, there are not a lot of pictures posted from the walk yet, but what ever I can find I will put at the end of this post. Also, I will post a link with a short video of the walk and an article about it.

I cannot fully express just how rewarding it is to know that I am doing good in the world during my time here at the American Cancer Society. I could tear up when I think about how much money we raised and the possibilities that can come from it. With that money, researchers may be able to find a cure for breast cancer, or a way to prevent it all together, who knows? The possibilities are truly endless and being a part of this organization is a blessing.

I am also so thankful for my family and friends who came out to help setting-up, breaking down, and working the event. My sister even came home from JWU Providence to come help out! They gave up their entire weekend to come support me and the American Cancer Society by volunteering. on Saturday, they all helped with setting-up EVERYTHING! From tables, to boxes full of decorations and administrative supplies, to sizing every single shirt, to putting up siding on every tent, my family helped out in every single aspect, and I, along with the rest of the staff here, couldn’t be more grateful! I definitely helped out a lot by bringing my dad, uncle, and strong male friends to do the heavy lifting and loading/unloading the truck because with this office full of mostly short, tiny women, we would have had a tough time.

On the day of the event I woke up at 4:30am and got to the site of the walk by 5:30am. At the time it was still pitch black and absolutely freezing! We all pulled together to get the final touches done before people started arriving around 8am. I worked the Strides Shop which is where all the products for the day was sold, such as shirts, jackets, mugs, etc. Apparently, we raised over $20,000 in merchandise sales alone!! How crazy is that? We were so busy that day that as soon as I sat on my couch when we got home around 3:30pm, I fell asleep. Seeing the sea of pink that day though when looking at the giant crowd of people was definitely inspiring and warmed my heart. There were even dogs dressed in their best pink attire, including a giant 10 month old great dane named Athena sporting her hot pink tutu. It really was a site to see and it was certainly a day that I will never forget.

This week we have been wrapping up the event, making thank you calls, trying to get reorganized, and putting everything from the event away. We are all tired since not having a day off in 12 days, and struggled to get through this week, but we did it!

This weekend I will be babysitting to make some money since I am working at least 35 hours a week unpaid. I will also be having a much needed night out with friends to catch up, and to grab some food and drinks. We have all been so busy that it will be great seeing everyone again and seeing what they have been up to.

Until next time!

Signing out,

Jen :)

The link to the video, some pictures, and news article from the walk:

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2013310200086&nclick_check=1

Amy driving the truck filled with event stuff!

My fantastic volunteers!

What the site of the walk looked like at 5:30 am.

Me manning the Product Tent!

My sister, me and my mom working for the cause!

Event Staff would have been nothing without our amazing volunteers such as my sister and mom!

20,000 pink walkers!!