R.E.S PECT Find out what it means to me

This week has been very busy, but so exciting - it was the first Celtics preseason game, followed by an Avenged Sevenfold concert, then a Bruins Game, Nine Inch Nails concert, and a Selena Gomez concert. As much as I want to write about these events I am going to save it for after Circus Week, which is next week. Instead, as exciting as it is, I am going to write about respect for management.

Yes, this may sound boring, but this is something new for me. I have had many jobs throughout my life, as I’m sure many have, ranging from being a gymnastics coach to working on a beverage cart at a country club. I am not including my job as a Teaching Assistant because in a learning facility, everyone including management is learning. It does not take a lot for me to respect managers, but if a manager has favorites, is not knowledgeable about the job, or if they do not know how to manage you, the employee, it is hard to respect them. I have been employed by these sort of managers up until now. I do not want to put down my previous jobs, but once you experience really good management all you can do is compare.

I may be an intern, but I have had the privilege of witnessing many things at the Garden. The managers do not have favorites, this does not say they do not get along with employees, but they do not favor some compared to others. They all have years of experience and are very knowledgeable about their areas, so if I have any questions they know the answers and I know that it is the right answer. They are good at assigning me tasks, whatever it may be, to keep me busy so I am not standing around without anything to do. I am one of those people that as long as I am doing something I am happy. This can even be filing which I have found to be quite relaxing and enjoyable some days. Lastly, they are respectful to each other. They appreciate what the other employees do and do not bad mouth them as I have seen before. If something goes wrong they discuss it and move on, and if they know they did wrong they own up to it. They also treat me very well, and on days where I might have to do tasks that aren’t so thrilling, they still appreciate it and may even provide coffee, which I love ohh so much, to get through it.

There is much more I could write about how their management is different than places I have been before, but I think you get my drift. If you find management at your job that you respect, you are lucky, and you better do everything in your power to stay there. I know I am.