The Past Month and a Half

That brings me to the internship.

They wanted me to start in early August, and I’m glad I did. (I’ll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible.) By starting in August I was able to help with the hiring and training process for the part-time employees before the seasons started. I was able to call and schedule interviews, conduct some pre-screening interviews to see if they were right for the job, send out training letters and TEAM training letters to see if they needed to be alcohol certified, and set up rooms for trainings. They even took me to Fenway last week to work Fenway’s first New England career fair, which was interesting to be on the interviewer side for a change, and as an added bonus I got some Red Sox tickets for helping out! I’ve never gone to a Red Sox game and I must say that there is a reason why it is so legendary. Since I strayed off topic lets go back to HR; I have learned a lot through HR ranging from grievances to I-9s.

I have also been able to help out with Concessions and Commissary with some of their projects including reformatting POS systems in the Concession stands, and updating the stands and portables with the correct beer kegs. I have been able to sit in on some of the meetings as well and take notes while they discuss the food and beverage throughout the arena.

Along with that I had the opportunity to work WWE where I shadowed the Concession Manager and Supervisor with what they did for events on a smaller scale. I learned how they assign attendants and temps from the city, provide uniforms, and what to look for during events, like tips on the counter, food safety concerns, and cleanliness. It was a lot to take in. I also was able to work at a Garden Neighborhood Charity Event which helped pack 4,000 backpacks for inner city children.

All in all, I know I am missing some details of everything I have done, but what I can say right now, is that this is the best “job” I have had. The people I work with are some of the nicest most personable people I have ever met, and at the same time work incredibly hard. They are very good at teaching and making sure I get the most out of this experience. That includes checking out the set-ups for events to get excited for what’s going on. This is not just in the Sports Service department but throughout the Garden as well. I hope this continues because I have been able to not only learn a lot but enjoy my job as well. I get to work my first preseason Bruins game and a Michael Buble concert this week and I cannot wait!!