7/25/13

We had such a fun and busy week this week. Tuesday started out with a short lecture and tasting on Sherry. I had never tried Sherry before so it was fun to learn about the process, but tasting high alcohol wines before 10AM was a little challenging. After, we switched to Swiss wines and did a wine and cheese pairing. One cheese they gave us to try, that I had never tried before is Tête de Moine. It was really good and paired well with Syrah.

After lunch we went and visited Marksburg Castle. All along the Rhine River there are dozens of castles visible atop the mountains. They are usually surrounded by vineyards. Marksburg Castle is the only castle in the area that was never destroyed by the wars and still exists in its original form.

Our last stop of the day on Tuesday was at Jean Stodden Das Rotweingut. I feel like I have said this multiple times, but this might be one of my favorite wineries. He gave us two really unique wines. The first was a white Pinot Noir. This wine had all the fruity aromas of a typical Pinot Noir, but it didn’t have any tannins or color. The second memorable wine he gave us was a Riesling that has been aged in oak. Typically Riesling is aged in stainless steel so it has stronger fruit flavors and higher acidity.

And now our classes our officially over and all we have left to do is take our WSET 2 exam. I will be sad to see this course come to an end, but I will never look back and wish I had done more. We have learned so much, and I have made many amazing friends, and collected many wonderful memories.