Singapore - second week.

It has been a whirlwind experience. We’ve finished our second week In Singapore with activities from dusk ‘til dawn. This week we had Sunday off.

On Monday we worked on Malay cuisine with Chef Dean.

Also, on Monday we toured the Singapore Airlines Catering facility, but we were not permitted to take photos inside the kitchens. However, we were allowed to photograph the treats they provided for us.

A mango cream and pomelo shot.image

A mixed nut tartlet.

Bread, mousse and cherry snack.

On Tuesday in Little India, a Buddhist temple, a vegetarian breakfast and our preparation of cuisine from Southern India with Chef Rishi.image

Our breakfast, most of us ordered something different.

Our food preparation was coconut rice (Thenga Choru), fish curry with okra (Vendakkai Meen Curry), and Beetroot Pachadi. I don’t like beets; in fact I hate them, but this wash delicious, not a hint of the bitter twang that a beet normally produces on the back of the tongue. This was rich, sweet and I could eat this for the rest of my life if I had the choice

On Wednesday, we made Northern Indian cuisine with Chef Rishi: Tandoori Chicken, Basmati Rice with Chicken, and Naan bread.

Thursday we toured a soy sauce factory, had lunch at a Malayan Halal restaurant, visited the Malay Heritage Centre and toured the kitchens and had dinner at the Hyatt with Chef Dean.

The three pictures above were our lunch and dessert; the second picture is of three desserts made with pandan, palm sugar and coconut; and the last one is a sweet soup used as a palate cleanser of sweet potato, white potato and coconut milk. It was sinfully rich.

Above is my meal a the Hyatt Straits Restaurant where we had a buffet choice from multiple Asian cuisines.

Friday, we were in the kitchen with Chef Xihong (pronounced “see-hong”). We explored Chinese cuisine with 10 dishes among them: sweet and sour prawns; hot and sour soup, braised duck, shrimp with jasmine tea leaves and butter prawns.image

Above is our group’s daily creations. Below, we were treated to a BBQ by our hosts At-Sunrice. Originally it was to be held at the marina, but due to heavy smog caused by the burning of forests in Indonesia the venue was changed to an indoor setting.

imageFor more pictures and details, see my blog at http://kendalynx.tumblr.com/

My favorite photo of the week was of the Sultan Mosque as viewed from the Malay Heritage Centre.