South Korea

I arrived a few days ago after flying out of Rome to London and then onto Seoul, South Korea. Exiting the terminal I was definitely overwhelmed, even though I thought I had this whole travel thing down pat. I pulled out printed directions to my hostel and tried to make sense of the airport signs. I walked over to an information counter to ask where to get the bus and immediately realized she spoke very little English. After a few hand signals and pointing I figured out where I was supposed to go. This conversation immediately reminded me of a lesson in Professor Varlaro’s class about something like 93% of a conversation is nonverbal, so maybe there is hope for me surviving here after all!
I was welcomed at my hostel with open arms by a native South Korean named Roy who made me feel like his home was mine as well. I dropped my bags and went out to explore. The city is truly a mix of old customs, culture and a youthful population leading the country in modern innovations and technology. Standing in front of City Hall you can see the Bukhan Mountains, the palace of Deoksugung and modern glass skyscrapers.
Now for the food; I have always loved Korean food but the food I have had here is obviously better than anything I have ever had in the states. Ordering is an adventure within itself, 3 out of 4 times I have ordered something completely different than what I thought; for me that’s all part of the adventure.
I’m getting very excited for the start of my program which is July 10th and joining other students. More to come soon, thanks again for reading!