How Did I End Up Here?

As this is my first blog post about my travels I must explain a bit about who I am. I was born and raised in a small farming community in Upstate New York famous for horse racing and its apples. I am currently a senior studying International Business at the downtown Providence campus with concentrations in Sociology and Human Resource Management. I grew up working in restaurants and have a strong passion for cooking and for food in general.
Fresh oysters on the half shell in La Rochelle, France.

It is times like this that it’s so important to reflect on the crazy and wonderful events that have happened over the last few years that have landed me here in Italy today. Honestly the first people I must thank are my parents and second are the unbelievable professors and staff at Johnson & Wales University that pushed me to do more rather than tell me I couldn’t.

I was fortunate enough to be accepted into two different study abroad programs. The first was the French Language and Cultural Immersion, which allowed me to spend the 3 months of Spring Trimester living with a host family and studying the French language at a local university. The second program is Human Resource Management in the International Context of South Korea where I am able to spend a month in Seoul studying South Korean culture and business.
My day trip backpack.

The first program began March 1st and ended May 1st and the second program doesn’t begin until the second week of June. For the time in between I made the decision to work two jobs for the past year and save money so that I could travel throughout Europe in an 80L backpack. So far I have traveled to France, Ireland, Great Britain, Switzerland and Italy. On May 29th I will continue my journey as I leave Rome, Italy for Seoul, to continue on to the next leg of my journey.
Planning my adventure.

I have traveled a great deal before this trip but by far this is the adventure of a lifetime. Johnson & Wales presented the opportunity and I just ran with it. I have learned more about various cultures and people than I could have ever learned in the classroom. I will continue to post about my experiences and the people I have met and places I have seen. Please check back and join me on my journey.

“But that’s the glory of foreign travel, as far as I am concerned. I don’t want to know what people are talking about. I can’t think of anything that excites a greater sense of childlike wonder than to be in a country where you are ignorant of almost everything. Suddenly you are five years old again. You can’t read anything, you have only the most rudimentary sense of how things work, you can’t even reliably cross a street without endangering your life. Your whole existence becomes a series of interesting guesses.”

― Bill Bryson, Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe