Ally Conquers France: JWU Study Abroad

Ally Van Roosen traveled to France as a part of the JWU French Baking & Pastry at Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Pâtisserie (ENSP) program. In Europe, Ally not only discovered beauty & friendships, she discovered more of herself.

I began my journey to France with mixed emotions—excitement, nervousness, and of course there were butterflies in my stomach.  My biggest worry was that the language barrier would be too challenging to handle and that it would interfere with my learning and travel plans.  However, as soon as I landed, I was surrounded by a gorgeous view that completely set my mind at ease. This, coupled with outstanding planning by JWU and the friends I made there, made my stay in Europe one of the most memorable experiences of my life.

Ally Collage.jpg
Arc de Triomphe in Paris, France

I came to JWU French Baking & Pastry at Ecole Nationale Supérieure de Pâtisserie (ENSP) program already knowing some people from my campus, but after spending two months traveling Europe with them, I made friendships that would last a lifetime.  This study abroad program gave me a better understanding of myself as a chef too.  I learned what my difficulties were and was able to improve on them. The chefs worked with us and helped us create some really high-quality products that I can put in my portfolio for future job interviews. This trip was truly a journey—one of self discovery and I would recommend it to anyone that wants to broaden their horizon.

Ally3.jpg
Sightseeing in Italy and exploring Venice.

Ally1.jpg
Touring the Eiffel Tower and Paris at night.

IMG_6987.jpg
Birthday Dinner in Venice, Italy

JWU believes that studying abroad is a personally rewarding and professionally relevant adventure that allows you to fulfill academic credit in a new cultural context. Learn more.

Topics: Study Abroad Baking & Pastry Arts