A Tasty Swedish Study Abroad Story

JWU Providence student Taina Malave is documenting her study abroad trip in Luleå, Sweden by writing a delicious blog post that lists the tastiest Swedish foods that she has enjoyed thus far. Anyone hungry for reindeer meat?

Since being in Sweden, I’ve eaten things that I don’t think I would have dreamt of trying back in America. Studying abroad has opened up my eyes to new things, especially how different food is in other cultures.

I’m not positive how many people dream of visiting Sweden, but if you’re one of those people, this blog post is for you! Today, I’m going to be sharing my top 5 Swedish foods that you NEED to try when coming into Sweden. These are foods that I’ve found myself eating a lot and have incorporated them into my life in one way or another.

1. Filmjök. Alright, this is a bit of an unusual one and not for everyone. When translated into English, “filmjölk” means “sour milk”; and that’s what it is (fermented milk). It’s not as thick at yogurt and has a different texture. There are many different flavors of filmjölk. There’s the regular filmjölk, which isn’t bad but has a strong sour taste which is what turns people off right away. However, there are different flavors of filmjölk, and my favorite (which I highly recommend) is the strawberry flavor. I usually eat this for breakfast. I pour some corn flakes into a bowl and pour some strawberry filmjölk over it, and it’s great.

Use it with your cereal. Image by Arla, Incorporated.

2. Falukorv. Nothing too odd here. Falukorv is a type of Swedish sausage (combination of beef and pork meat) that is common here. It’s already precooked, so you can eat it “raw” if you choose too. As a snack, my friends and I would eat this with some cheese and crackers. However, my favorite way to have it is to slice it into pieces, cook it on the stove for a few minutes and have it with some potatoes.

Falukorv.jpg

3. Reindeer meat. Okay, no judging here. People in America eat deer meat all the time. I’ve never had deer meat before, but I do enjoy reindeer meat. Out of the foods I’ve talked about, this is the one that is a must have when coming to Swedish. Reindeer meat is popular here and delicious. When I had it, it was in a wrap with some veggies and sauce!

Image by Alamy.

4. Wienerbröd. This is just a Danish, as it’s known back in America. But, I love it a lot more here than the ones I’ve had in America. They also have a pistachio flavored one which is fabulous. One thing that I’ve come to realize is that Swedes love pistachios.

Wienerbröd.jpg

5. Last but not least, blodpudding med lingon. In English, it's known as “black pudding with lingonberries.” Blodpudding is made with pig blood and flour, but you can just buy this premade in the grocery store. Take a piece, fry it in some butter, and serve it up with the berries; and you’re ready to go!

blodpudding.jpg

All of these foods are interesting, and I’m so glad that I’ve had the opportunity to try some of these foods while living here. Some of these foods may sound weird, but if you ever find yourself in Sweden, I highly recommend trying some of these things.

Learn more about the many study abroad adventures that await you at JWU.

Topics: Study Abroad Providence